Initial Teacher Training
The Unity Teaching School Alliance School Direct programme provides a structured and fully supported route to gaining Qualified Teaching Status. You will gain valuable hands on experience in the classroom, whilst completing a post-graduate academic programme at the University of Warwick.
About the Course
During this one year course you will gain a range of skills and experience to prepare you for a successful career in teaching. Your learning journey will be supported by a school based mentor and a university tutor who will guide you through the academic requirements for the PGCE qualification. You will spend two terms in your host school and one term at a placement school, ensuring that you gain experience in more than one school setting.
Throughout the year, you will:
- learn how effective teaching can impact a child’s educational progress;
- developing teaching skills informed by theory and subject knowledge;
- apply your knowledge in a classroom setting;
- learn how to build effective relationships with both children and adults;
- observe outstanding practitioners, including Specialist Leaders of Education, and
- gain valuable skills in effective classroom organisation and behaviour management.
In addition to your 'Outstanding' University based academic programme you will have the opportunity to access high quality Professional Development opportunities, through Unity Teaching School Alliance.
Course Entry Requirements
- First degree from a UK Higher Education Institution at 2:2 or above, or equivalent qualification
- A standard equivalent to a grade C/4 in the GCSE examinations English Language, Mathematics and Science
- Relevant experience in the primary age phase
- A good understanding of issues in education